Re: [SLE] Still cant connect to my ISP
  • From: Basil Chupin <blchupin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 04 May 2004 03:01:44 +1000
Damon Register wrote:
Basil Chupin wrote:

It is physically not possible to connect on a dial-up connection above 57600 baud - nor can data flow faster than the theoretical 57600 baud simply because this is the upper limit of the beast.

Maybe my memory isn't so great but I thought that's what they said about
previous hurdles (9600).

Damon Register

I think they also said that when the 300 baud modem came out :-). And
when the first steam engine train was being tested it was stated that
man would not survive if the train reached a speed of 20 mph :-).

Interestingly, a man here in one of our states (South Australia I
believe) came up with a modem which will do over 100,000 bps over the
current phone lines (it was successfully tested), but it seems that it
has not got off the ground. My supposition for this is that the
broadband pushers wouldn't be able to make as many shekels if such a
modem went into production. (Just like some 20+ years ago a man in the
state of Victoria invented a setup which totally prevented the front
wheels of a vehicle from going out of alignment even if the vehicle was
driven at full speed into the kerb. His invention was bought by one of
the car companies (I won't mention which one) -- and that is the last
time anyone ever saw it again.)

(OK, OK, all this is off-topic I know. I shall desist.)

Cheers.