Re: [SLE] Radeon 8500 and 3D? (followup)
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 11:29:08 -0400
On Monday 03 May 2004 11:19 am, Damon Register wrote:

[...]
> > anything, as it was fully supported in the kernel (fglrx module)
> > and
>
> This confuses me a little. If I use the SuSE 9.0 installation
> without changing anything, I don't see fglrx, but instead I see glx
> in the configuration. Is this the same thing or something else?
>*********

No, check your modules in your kernel and you will find the fglrx.o
module for the ATI card. Mantel started including it sometime back, I
believe as the result of ATI's cooperation with the Linux community.
It is the /lib/modules/<kernel version>/kernel/drivers/char/drm/fglrx.o
----------------

[...]
> So the first answer I got saying I needed the above mentioned fglrx
> package is not correct (I don't need it)? Am I correct in thinking
> that this fglrx package is an alternate to the one packaged with SuSE
> 9.0 and I must use the alternate setup too when using this fglrx?
> Can anyone explain why the README with the above fglrx says to use
> sax2 to configure if this doesn't work?
>************

Well, before the module appeared in the kernel, the ATI drivers was the
best solution for the newer 9xxx series. If memory serves me, the ATI
driver still gives you some "special" ATI perks with your card, but I
did not see any difference in speed between the two for 3D. After some
trial & error in setting up the ATI drivers, I was able to determine
you used their provided software to configure everything or you became
frustrated by not doing so! ;o)
-------------

> Togan, if you are reading this, can you include something on this
> subject in your FAQ? I have looked through the past mail and it has
> been discussed a lot but I couldn't find a clear answer. When or why
> does a person need the alternate driver? I know you rely on
> contributions and I am not asking you to figure all this out and
> write it yourself. If I can gather sufficient information, could you
> put it in your FAQ?
>
> Damon Register

Running the 9.1 LiveCD last evening and experimenting somewhat, I found
also that SuSE had gotten the 3D to work with the 2.6 kernel as well.
The intitial 2.6 builds would not do 3D with ATI naturally. I do
believe using the ATI drivers would allow things to work though. So,
9.1 should be as good with the ATI cards as 9.0 is, naturally.

Lee
Registered Linux User #225206
On any other day, that might seem strange...