Re: [SLE] Radeon 8500 and 3D? (followup)
  • From: Damon Register <damon.w.register@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 08:19:36 -0700
BandiPat wrote:

The 8500 has been out for quite sometime now. I have seen support for
I made a mistake in my original post. I have 2 computers, one older
with the 8500 and a new HP with a generic brand Radeon 9200 card.
I was actually working on the new HP with the 9200 but had the other
computer on my mind when I wrote the post. I tried 3D on the 8500 and
found that it actually did work with SuSE 9.0 out of the box, although
I did find that (at least for me) it only worked by manually adding
load "dri" to the XF86Config file.

this card since SuSE 8.1! 3D support came in 9.0 without adding
So I see. After re-installing SuSE 9.0 on the HP with Radeon 9200 to
clean up the mess I made by installing
ftp://ftp.suse.com/pub/suse/i386/supplementary/X/XFree86/ATI/suse90/fglrx/3.7.6/
I found that it also worked with 3D by manually editing the XF86Config file.
I even got tuxracer working.

anything, as it was fully supported in the kernel (fglrx module) and
This confuses me a little. If I use the SuSE 9.0 installation without
changing anything, I don't see fglrx, but instead I see glx in the
configuration. Is this the same thing or something else?

If the card is a "real" ATI card, it should be ok in 9.0 naturally, both
It isn't

more you muck around with trying the ATI driver & back to Sax2, etc., the more likely you are to get a messed up graphics system. If you try
Did that so I reinstalled SuSE. It was a learning process

So the first answer I got saying I needed the above mentioned fglrx package
is not correct (I don't need it)? Am I correct in thinking that this fglrx
package is an alternate to the one packaged with SuSE 9.0 and I must use
the alternate setup too when using this fglrx? Can anyone explain why the
README with the above fglrx says to use sax2 to configure if this doesn't
work?

Togan, if you are reading this, can you include something on this subject
in your FAQ? I have looked through the past mail and it has been discussed
a lot but I couldn't find a clear answer. When or why does a person need
the alternate driver? I know you rely on contributions and I am not
asking you to figure all this out and write it yourself. If I can gather
sufficient information, could you put it in your FAQ?

Damon Register