Re: [SLE] Why should I buy 64bit hardware ?
  • From: "Jerome R. Westrick" <jerry@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 03 May 2004 10:17:44 +0200
I've been building 32bit servers like this for years...
In fact I also deliver SOHO servers built along theese
lines.

to answer your question:
No there is no reason to buy a 64bit system for the purpose
you describe. Remeber also that a 64 bit system as almost
double the memory requirements, since it needs 2 the space
to store it's data!

Here some tips...

I use Software raid 1 (mirrowed) drives. to protect my
data against the inevitable disk crash.

I use storebackup to protect my data against the
inevitable user error. The storebackup backups to a 3rd
disk.

In win/Samba, I avoid "Hot seating" unless I can get all
workstations ot be the same (usually not the case for
home networks).

I use the Yast configuration for email fetchmail, which
lets the server constantly poll my "local" users email
accounts for new mail (24/7). and Use squirrelmail for
"backup" mail access...

I use SSH and VNC (via xinetd) heavily, for example I
only run my email client (evolution) remote on the
server either via "SSH -X", or on a vnc so that all
my emails are in a single client...

Don't forget to look into a "Fax-server", (I use hylafax)
as this will give you faxes to email interface, and save
(for all eternity) all inconing faxes to a directory...

I use fwbuilder to build my firewalls, but I do have
additional (and complicated) firewall needs. maybe the
new SuSE firewall 2 is enough for you...

And last (but not least):
I have several servers that have been running like this
for many years... (for example my mother 'n law, whoose
Celeron 400 has been doing service for 4 years now, or is it 5?)

Jerry Westrick.

On Mon, 2004-05-03 at 09:10, Lenz Grimmer wrote:

< Previous Next >