Re: [SLE] reinstalling SuSE 7.1
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 3 May 2004 02:43:37 +0200 (CEST)

The Sunday 2004-05-02 at 10:54 +0200, dcjohan wrote:

> I'm about to swap out windows distributions (98se for 2000) on my dual
> boot system due to a work situation. I know you can restore the SuSE
> boot menu by running lilo once you are in Linux, but I've not found a
> way to do that once the mbr has been restored by the windows install. In
> preparation for this transition I've tried to do it from the 7.1 boot
> disks but can't find an option in 7.1 to boot an installed distro like
> you can in later releases

Maybe not, but it has a rescue system.

1) Boot into rescue system (CD).
2) Mount your "/" partition in "/mnt", and "/boot" into "/mnt/boot" if you
have an independent "boot" partition.
3) Change to /mnt, chroot to it.
4) run lilo.
5) reboot.

(for details of commands, see the proper man pages)

> (yes, I realize I could use a newer version
> but this install of Linux is my mail box and all works well as is and

Just remember that it will no have security updates.

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson