Re: [SLE] Setting Environment variables
  • From: Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 May 2004 09:53:42 -0400
On Sun, 25 Apr 2004 22:16:31 +0100
Paul Constable <pconst@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
> Am a newbie to the requirement of environment settings.
>
> I need to set CLASSPATH/PATH variables permanently, to enable me to do
> some development.
>
> I have a need to enable 'Eclipse' with Amzi prolog plug-in run.
>
> The stumbling blocks are ability to set a default environment
> variable, i.e. AMZI_DIR, and then all the additions to PATH.
>
> Could somebody point me in the right direction, I have tried many ways
> which fail frequently. Point me to some definitive guide for SuSE 8.2
> & 9.0 please. So that I can solve this dilema once and for all.

As Bruce mentioned, there are several places. You probably want those
variables set before X windows runs. The ~/.xinitrc is a good place to
set environment variables so they are inherited by applications you run
directly from KDE (or GNOME) such as Eclipse without first spawning a
shell, or you could set them in /etc/profile if you want them set for
everyone who logs into your system (which is probably only you).

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf@xxxxxxx>
Boston Linux and Unix user group