Re: [SLE] Missing services after upgrade of KDE?
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 20:09:00 +0800
On 03/21/2004 06:50 PM, Rikard Johnels wrote:

Wouldn't it be better to solve the kwin.so issue instead of hacking alot of
conf files??
Why isn't kwin.so upgraded with the rest?

joe@jmorris:~> locate kwin.so
/opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kwin.so
/opt/kde3/lib/libkdeinit_kwin.so
joe@jmorris:~> rpm -qf /opt/kde3/lib/kde3/kwin.so
kdebase3-3.2.1-10
So kdebase3-3.2.1 provides kwin.so. Is this installed? I would assume so. I use 8.2, I forget now which you use. The kdebase3-SuSE package, which provides several programs, has to be version >=9 something to work. What is the result of "rpm -Uvh --test kdebase3-SuSE*rpm" ? If it also provides kwin.so, which I doubt but can't check since I don't have 9.0, rpm will complain because it would overwrite a file from another package. If you let us know what error rpm is giving (this is actually not an apt problem). From the discussion before the release of 3.2, it appeared the addition to konqueror to install rpms via Yast was incompatible with 3.2 Konq, at least with 8.2. So, on 8.2 kdebase3-SuSE conflicts with kdebase3 and rpm will not allow both to be installed (at least not without compromising the dependency integrity of your system. If you have 9.0, I have read it does work, but it will replace some of the files from the kdebase3-SuSE package. Since you uninstalled kdebase3-SuSE, it would copy the wrong version of the files needed by the newer 3.2 kdebase3, so you could probably force install kdebase3-SuSE (assuming you have 9.0), then force reinstall kdebase3. That should allow you to retrieve your missing services and still keep consistent. To be sure, send the output of rpm -Uvh --test kdebase3-SUSE*rpm (correct for spelling errors). HTH.
--
Joe Morris
New Tribes Mission