Re: [SLE] Proof Me Please (Samba)
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2004 21:36:54 -0900
On Saturday 20 March 2004 19:29, C Hamel wrote:
> > John Andersen
>
> Perhaps I should be asking you how one manages to read a Linux box w/a
> Windoze XP box.  I can access shares using smbfs from Lin - Win but not the
> other way around, it seems.  I finally gave up & am running Lin - Lin, but
> I still am hoping to run into what I am doing wrong ...or not quite right.

Again, that is what SAMBA does.
Are you saying you can get samba to run? Or are you saying
you can get samba to run but you can't access via XP?

If its the latter, XP always wants to send encrypted passwords
and so you have to set your samba to do encrypted (it is the
default for several releases now), and you probably want to use
smbadduser.

Things are easier in a mixed win9x winXP environment if the
passwords on the linux box are the same as the windows
login passwords. Not strictly necessary, but easier to manage.

XP has no particular problems using samba.

--
John Andersen