Re: [SLE] RAID and Swap.
  • From: Philipp Thomas <philipp.thomas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 21 Mar 2004 02:14:43 +0100
John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:53:04 -0900]:
>You can tell by the chipset if its a real raid controller,

This may be so.

>also if it has raid setup software onboard. (And yes, still at $30).

But this not! Even the cheap Promise Fasttracks have RAID setup code in
the BIOS but the rest is done in the driver.

>If it has a utility for defining raid arrays chances are you system will
>not even see separate drives, in which case there is no OS involvement.

Not necessarily, it could also mean that the chip uses a trick to hide
the additional disk(s) like Promise does in its fake RAID cards. The
Linux kernel can make them visible again.

>I've even moved one of these drive arrays originally set up on Windows
>to Linux and it mounted it, found the vfat partition and was none the
>wiser.

No proof. That's exactly what ataraid and pdcraid/hptraid are there for:
to translate the disk setup and make it understandable for the md
(softraid) driver.

>You don't have to spend that kind of money any more unless you want
>high-performance raid 5.

I still don't believe it. All real hardware IDE RAID controllers I've
seen cost *way* beyond those $ 30.

--
Philipp Thomas work: pth AT suse DOT de
SUSE LINUX AG private: philipp DOT thomas AT t-link DOT de