Re: [SLE] 2.6 Kernel Upgrade How-To?
  • From: Kenneth Schneider <suselist@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2004 07:17:47 -0500
On Thu, 2004-03-18 at 16:45, L. Mark Stone wrote:
> Is there a detailed, step-by-step how to for upgrading an existing 9.0
> system running a 2.4 kernel to install and boot a 2.6 kernel--and be
> able to continue to boot the 2.4 kernel if all doesn't work under the
> 2.6 kernel?
>
> Thanks!
> Mark

I currently have 5 kernels installed on my home machine. The one trick I
have used is to manually -install- the additional -not- upgrade them.
This will install the kernels without removing the others. You will
probably get conflict errors and have to --force the install. You will
also have to manually insert the entries into grub (or lilo) to have the
boot options available.

I install new kernels this way because I have an ultra ATA raid
controller that does -not- have modules available with the kernel
sources and have to compile my own module for the controller.

--
Ken Schneider
unix user since 1989