Re: [SLE] RAID and Swap.
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 20:53:04 -0900
On Thursday 18 March 2004 20:28, Avtar Gill wrote:
> John Andersen wrote:
> > If one insists on mirroring swap its best to get one of those
> > hardware raid controllers which eliminated the need for software
> > raid and often the OS is totally unaware it has a raid.
> > Those things are rally cheap these days ($30) if all you want
> > is raid 1 mirroring.
>
> Those cheap "hardware" RAID controllers are actually semi-software
> controllers - they rely on the OS's RAID implementation for most
> of the actual work. If you want true hardware RAID then expect to
> spend a couple hundred dollars. The 3ware ones seem pretty decent.
> So having said that, relying on the Linux software RAID
> implementation does't seem like such a bad idea.

You can tell by the chipset if its a real raid controller, also if it has raid
setup software onboard. (And yes, still at $30).

If it has a utility for defining raid arrays chances are you system will
not even see separate drives, in which case there is no OS involvement.
I've even moved one of these drive arrays originally set up on Windows
to Linux and it mounted it, found the vfat partition and was none the
wiser. You don't have to spend that kind of money any more
unless you want high-performance raid 5.

(Oh, and the thing performed deciently too...)
--
John Andersen

< Previous Next >