Re: [SLE] RAID and Swap.
  • From: John Andersen <jsa@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 18:01:21 -0900
On Thursday 18 March 2004 14:46, Dave Lists wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a machine booting off IDE RAID.
> /dev/md0 / reiserfs
> defaults 1 1
> /dev/hda2 swap swap
> pri=42 0 0
> /dev/hdc2 swap swap
> pri=42 0 0
>

> What I'm wondering is can I convert my dual swaps to one single RAIDed
> swap?
>

> Dave.

Why would you want to do that?

Raid is slower than regular ide because of the need to
sync the drives. Raiding your swaps will simply slow you down.

Before you waste any time on this, evalate just how much of the time you
are useing swap.

With just a half meg of memory and vmware running my system
still shows virtally no swap useage at all:
jsa@pen:~> free
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 514152 507196 6956 0 28532 187704
-/+ buffers/cache: 290960 223192
Swap: 1028120 4936 1023184

Swap does not have to be persistant so why waste the cycles
raiding it up?

--
John Andersen