Re: [SLE] newbie video editing
  • From: Riccardo Facchini <abief_ag_-suseml@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 07:05:23 -0800 (PST)

--- Kevin Donnelly <kevin@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thursday 18 March 2004 6:16 am, Steve Lett wrote:
> > How do I use the VCR to send the movies to the 'puter?
> > I'm assuming there is some kind of video card that
> > will let us connect the VCR and rip the video.
> > Needs to be as cheap a solution as possible as he is
> > cutting grass for the costs. Any ideas about what
> > kind of video hardware I need? (using a donated
> > Celeron 900 Mhz mainboard and probably have an 8Gb
> > drive in the junk bin that I can start him off with)
>
> To be honest, multimedia stuff like this is about the only area where
> Linux
> lags at the minute. Kino is not bad, and I've used it on 8.2, but it
> is not
> terrific either. There is also an app called Kdenlive which looks
> quite
> promising, but I haven't used that yet.
>
> I think the above deal with digital video (eg from digicams). You
> will want
> an analogue solution, since you're working from videotapes. I think
> there is
> a demo version of MainActor on the 8.2 disks, which would do this,
> but the
> last time I used MA I thought it was very buggy, and the company
> seems more
> focussed on Windows stuff now.
>
> Not to put too fine a point on it, it may be that at this stage you
> should
> bite the bullet and use Windows for this. There are many apps in
> development, but they haven't gone far enough along to be easy to use
> (just
> the same way as a couple of years ago there were very good CD burning
> apps,
> and then K3B came along as a really well-designed end-user package -
> we're
> not there yet on video-editing). If you're trying to introduce your
> lad to
> Linux, the worst thing you could do is put him off it early on by
> trying to
> get it to do something it's not quite ready for - he'd take that as a
> comment
> on the whole OS, and forget about all the other office, network,
> systems,
> graphics, programming, games etc that are better on Linux.
>
> If he's interested in doing some creative video stuff, you might do
> worse than
> point him at Blender, which is a free 3D package which can be used to
> make
> animations. That works very well (although it's not something he'll
> pick up
> overnight!), and is under heavy development since it was made GPL
> last year
> (after a "community" buyout).
>
> --
>
> Best wishes
>
> Kevin Donnelly
>
> www.kyfieithu.co.uk - Meddalwedd Rhydd yn Gymraeg
>
> --

I know this will go against what you want to teach the lad, but what
about going to a Mac OS X workstation? You would have both worlds...

The best of the best in image editing (Mac IS the tool for video
editing, at least for now), and a Unix-Based OS... And also there are a
lot of documents around there on how to install Linux side by side with
Mac OS.

And, more important, you keep the boy far away from the dark side.

=====
Riccardo G. Facchini