Re: [SLE] newbie video editing
  • From: Kevin Donnelly <kevin@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 09:41:59 +0000
On Thursday 18 March 2004 6:16 am, Steve Lett wrote:
> How do I use the VCR to send the movies to the 'puter?
> I'm assuming there is some kind of video card that
> will let us connect the VCR and rip the video.
> Needs to be as cheap a solution as possible as he is
> cutting grass for the costs. Any ideas about what
> kind of video hardware I need? (using a donated
> Celeron 900 Mhz mainboard and probably have an 8Gb
> drive in the junk bin that I can start him off with)

To be honest, multimedia stuff like this is about the only area where Linux
lags at the minute. Kino is not bad, and I've used it on 8.2, but it is not
terrific either. There is also an app called Kdenlive which looks quite
promising, but I haven't used that yet.

I think the above deal with digital video (eg from digicams). You will want
an analogue solution, since you're working from videotapes. I think there is
a demo version of MainActor on the 8.2 disks, which would do this, but the
last time I used MA I thought it was very buggy, and the company seems more
focussed on Windows stuff now.

Not to put too fine a point on it, it may be that at this stage you should
bite the bullet and use Windows for this. There are many apps in
development, but they haven't gone far enough along to be easy to use (just
the same way as a couple of years ago there were very good CD burning apps,
and then K3B came along as a really well-designed end-user package - we're
not there yet on video-editing). If you're trying to introduce your lad to
Linux, the worst thing you could do is put him off it early on by trying to
get it to do something it's not quite ready for - he'd take that as a comment
on the whole OS, and forget about all the other office, network, systems,
graphics, programming, games etc that are better on Linux.

If he's interested in doing some creative video stuff, you might do worse than
point him at Blender, which is a free 3D package which can be used to make
animations. That works very well (although it's not something he'll pick up
overnight!), and is under heavy development since it was made GPL last year
(after a "community" buyout).

--

Best wishes

Kevin Donnelly