newbie video editing
  • From: "Steve Lett" <jeepnut@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 00:16:47 -0600
Hi all,
I want my grandson to know Linux first and if he HAS
to then maybe he will learn lesser softwares later.
So I have him excited about building a Linux box.
But I need to know some details about what
software/hardware tools I need to pursue for him to
use the workstation like he wants to.

He has DragonballZ tapes (OK, OK, stop laughing,
he's only 11) and we have a VCR to use. He wants to
take scenes from the videos and combine them in his
preferred order, and then set the whole mess to music.

How do I use the VCR to send the movies to the 'puter?
I'm assuming there is some kind of video card that
will let us connect the VCR and rip the video.
Needs to be as cheap a solution as possible as he is
cutting grass for the costs. Any ideas about what
kind of video hardware I need? (using a donated
Celeron 900 Mhz mainboard and probably have an 8Gb
drive in the junk bin that I can start him off with)

What Linux software is out there that handles this
kind of work? We'll be installing SuSE 8.2.

Thanks all for any advice.

In a world without walls or fences,
who needs Windows or Gates?

Registered Linux User #287453