Re: [SLE] Cron Jobs
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 04:34:25 +0100 (CET)

The Wednesday 2004-03-17 at 20:26 -0700, Donald Henson wrote:

> All I want to do is run a simple backup job every morning (early). I'm
> pretty sure that I can set up the crontab entry to do that. What I don't
> know is where to put it. I've looked at /etc/cron, /etc/cron.daily
> (contains a number of scripts), etc. Is there an existing script that I
> modify or do I create one from scratch? I'd really appreciate any
> assistance here.

Not there. Simply issue "crontab -e" as the user you want to run your job
as. Those diretories you mentioned work diferently, you can not choose the
exact hour they are run: only once a day, a week, etc.

If you are not happy with vi as an editor, use instead "EDITOR=mcedit
crontab -e" (or any other editor you like, but not an X one).

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson