Cron Jobs
  • From: Donald Henson <wepin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 20:26:10 -0700
Before you blow me off, let me say that I've been using Linux for about
six months and this is the first time I've had occasion to set up a cron
job. And before you tell me to RTFM, I've already done that as well as
several exchanges on mailing lists and a couple of online tutorials. I'm
here to tell you that I'm confused. You may need to know that I'm
running SuSE Linux 9.0, since SuSE appears to handle cron jobs
differently than everyone else.

All I want to do is run a simple backup job every morning (early). I'm
pretty sure that I can set up the crontab entry to do that. What I don't
know is where to put it. I've looked at /etc/cron, /etc/cron.daily
(contains a number of scripts), etc. Is there an existing script that I
modify or do I create one from scratch? I'd really appreciate any
assistance here.

Don Henson

< Previous Next >