Re: [SLE] Access a USB2.0 HD
  • From: "Joe Morris (NTM)" <Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Mar 2004 08:34:21 +0800
On 03/18/2004 01:18 AM, Mike Partyka wrote:

I have had a USB 2.0 hard drive device that i'd like to access under
SuSE. My gateway laptop has USB 2.0 ports to access.

I would thing a plugable device like this has to be mounted somehow, but
how?
Easiest and most for sure method is:
1. plug in the HD
2. su to root, and run fdisk -l. You should find a new disk, probably sdax (partition number).
3. mkdir /media/usbdisk
4. mount /dev/sdax /media/usbdisk
You can now access it at media/usbdisk. Depending on your version, some or most of the above steps may already be done for you. Mount point you may change to whatever you prefer.

When i plug the device in it doesn't change, but if i try to mount
usbdevfs, i get:

mount: special device /usbdevfs does not exist

This is for the USB subsystem, not for mounting usb devices, and is performed during boot.

--
Joe Morris
New Tribes Mission