local mail filtering
  • From: "Mike Branda" <mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 15:14:56 -0500
Hello!

I'm running SuSE 9 as a firewalled gateway box. We don't have a large mail
load or a large budget so I would like to double the gateway as a "in house"
mail filter. Our mail is hosted externally and filtering is now needed due
to a large increase in spam and viruses in the inbound mail. I would like
to pull down the mail with fetchmail, filter it through spamassassin and
amavis with virus scanner, and then spool it for the LAN machines to pull
down into Outlook for Windows. Ideally, the questionable stuff would be
dropped into a holding folder to determine if it's legitimate or not. The
Problem I am having is that I can already pull down the mail, but I don't
know how to set up the config files for procmail to respool after running
recipe's, or how to forward the processed mail to the pop3 or imap server
for outlook to retrieve.

I know all this takes up space so I've Raided 600 GB of disk for the task.

Software to use?? config/rc file examples? I've consulted the docs and
manpages for the programs listed above, but none of them address how to
interact with the other programs very well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!

Mike Branda
mike@xxxxxxxxxxxxx