RE: [SLE] Serial ATA and DMA mode
  • From: "marc delap" <mclists@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 16:43:32 +0000
Hi Stefan,

The machine has a Gigabyte 8KNXP motherboard with a Silicon Image Serial ATA chip. I've set the mode to BASE (non-raid) in the Bios and attached two Maxtor Serial ATA drives to it.

I got the same problem and I believe it's Maxtor related, here's a thread recently about this issue...

http://lists.suse.com/archive/suse-linux-e/2004-Feb/0006.html

I've managed to get into udma2 mode by putting in /etc/sysconfig/hardware:

DEVICES_FORCE_IDE_DMA="/dev/hde:udma2 /dev/hdg:udma2"

I get warnings at start up about cache flushing failed but everything seems to be ok, but then I'm a complete linux newb and was just pleased to get it going.

I'll try to compile a 2.6 kernel tonight to see if that helps, but I'd like to know why I can't get it to work with the 2.4 kernel.

I've never compiled a kernal before but would be interested to know if it helped.

Regards,
Marc.

Tired of 56k? Get a FREE BT Broadband connection http://www.msn.co.uk/specials/btbroadband