Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2004 16:48:16 -0600
Quoting Patriiiiiiiiiick <pat.suse@xxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Bruce Marshall wrote:
> >Yes it does.... and in my view, it is far less problematic than trying to
> >use the RPM's. Once you learn how to compile a kernel and install it
> >side-by-side with *any* other kernel, you are home free. And it really
> >isn't that difficult. I would recommend it to anyone....
>
> Do I understand correctly that it is possible to install two different
> kernels side by side by compiling it but that it is not possible to do
> this by using the RPM's?
>
> Patrick

It is possible, if the kernels are named differently. Install the 2nd
kernel, don't upgrade it (rpm -U). The installation will probably
change the vmlinuz and initrd symlinks to point to the new kernel, but
you can change them back. There can be problems if they require
different /etc/modules.conf.

HTH,
Jeffrey

< Previous Next >