Re: [SLE] help with IMAP
  • From: linuxjim <linuxjim@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 7 Mar 2004 08:42:41 -0600

> On 03/07/2004 11:40 AM, linuxjim wrote:
> |I guess I'm unclear on this. I had assumed that when imap is running, I
>
> can
>
> |access my normal user mail folders thru imap, leaving folders where
>
> they are,
>
> |e.g. "home/<username>/mail". Is this what you are saying?
>
> Yes, except Linux is case sensitive, so it would be Mail.
> ~<username>/Mail/ is the same (sorry I missed a slash and added one in
> the wrong place.) That is the setup on the IMAP account I have in my
> client. That way I can go into any users account in our server via imap
> just by changing the username, username element of the path, and
> password (usually to delete or forward email).
>
> |I did revise the client settings to reflect the change to port 993 and
>
> using
>
> |SSL, but not StartTLS.
>
> That should be correct.
>
> |Regarding the certs, keep in mind that I have postfix running on
>
> host.local.
>
> As far as imapd is concerned, postfix is not part of the equation.
>
> |I set up a host name to listen on this comuters local IP address. That
>
> is why I
>
> |originally issued 2 different certs, one for the domain.com name, and
>
> another
>
> |for the local (internal) IP address. But, as stated earlier I deleted both
> |and re-issued one for imapd.pem. Still not connecting.
>
> What are you putting in as the server name. Unless you run a local DNS,
> I would suggest just using the IP, i.e. 192.168.1.1
>
> |When I had imap running, I could telnet to it at port 143 and get a
>
> reply. Now
>
> |that imaps is running when I telnet to port 993 I get only a blinking
>
> cursor.
>
> |If I press any key, it exits back to the local telnet prompt, no visible
> |reply from imapd.
>
> What happens if you ssh? My guess is telnet does not use ssl and
> therefore will not work. I don't really know, as I just use a mail
> client. It will ask you to accept the certificate (because it is
> self-signed and not automatically trusted, i.e. not issued by a known
> and trusted Certificate Authority), which since I trust it I accept it
> permanently. It will then work without asking again. What mail client
> have you tried?

I am using Pegasus mail trying to connect from a local XP box. All it advises
is that connection fails, no other message or info.

Using Putty from the same machine, I can ssh to port 22 and log in, no
problem. But when I try to connect to port 993 I get a message that session
was terminated by remote host.

Not much other info to go on.

Jim Flanagan

> - --
> Joe Morris
> New Tribes Mission
> Email Address: Joe_Morris@xxxxxxx
> Web Address: http://www.mydestiny.net/~joe_morris
> Registered Linux user 231871
> God said, I AM that I AM. I say, by the grace of
> God, I am what I am.

< Previous Next >