Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:29:39 -0500
On Tuesday 02 March 2004 11:27 am, Anders Johansson wrote:
> As I understand it it isn't fully virtual. For performance, they don't
> virtualise the x86 instruction set like for instance bochs does, it runs on
> the actual hardware, which is why you don't get VMware versions for non-x86
> platforms

You are right.... but I thought my explanation made that clear. A true
emulator of say a Sparc machine running on an X86 would really be slow.

Essentially Win98 running under VMware runs like any other program, using the
X86 hardware to do its instructions until it needs to do something that
normally wouldn't be allowed (an OS call for IO for example). Then the
VMware routines that surround the Win98 'space' take over to do the service
needed for the call.

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 03/02/04 12:26 +
"Advice is seldom welcome; and those who want it the most always like it
the least." - Earl of Chesterfield

< Previous Next >