Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 17:27:19 +0100
On Tuesday 02 March 2004 17.22, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> Many hardware architectures provide for a virtual mode, where the memory is
> mapped/translated so that it appears to the VM that it has been loaded at
> address 0. The host (linux in this case) pages the virtual memory and
> the hardware does the address translations.

Yeah, that's how the memory is handled for all user space processes

> But yes, it is truely a virtual architecture

As I understand it it isn't fully virtual. For performance, they don't
virtualise the x86 instruction set like for instance bochs does, it runs on
the actual hardware, which is why you don't get VMware versions for non-x86
platforms