Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:12:57 -0500

On Tuesday 02 March 2004 09:37 am, Bruce Marshall wrote:
> On Tuesday 02 March 2004 09:26 am, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > I'm sorry.  The whole notion of VMware seems somehow perverse to me.  I
> > guess it works for people, but I expect it would be more problem than
> > solution. The face that people have two OS's running on the same chip at
> > the same time amazes me orders of magnitude more than the KDE running on
> > XP
>
> Better get used to the idea... I've been running virtual machines and
> OS's since 1969. I think it's here to stay.....

Is it really a virtual machine architecture? I guess that's why they call it
_V_M_ ware, eh? I assume VMware sits on top of the chip, and intercepts the
calls from the two OS's and parcels out the resources as it sees fit. If
everybody involved were playing nicely together, it wouldn't bother me. It's
just that Bill always seem to be trying to break such things.

About a year back, Sun filed suit for a $Billion U.S. because XP broke Java.
That /is/ 10.00^9.

How does it deal with network connections, and other potentially competing
resources?

>--+ + Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 03/02/04

STH