Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: Bruce Marshall <bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 09:01:29 -0500
On Monday 01 March 2004 08:56 pm, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> Don't bet too much on that.  I know SuSE tend to back-port important
> features which you might not get from the source.  I guess as long as you
> leave the SuSE kernel in place, you probably don't need to worry about rpm
> dependencies. I'm not sure exactly what I'd have to change these days to
> point to the correct boot image and initrd, but I'm loath to change things
> that SuSEconfig has under management, unless I use YaST to do it.  If you
> do touch those files, you better pay close attention when applying patches,
> etc. SuSEconfig won't fix them up for you as it would its own work.
>
> > --

Some valid points there but.... I think an off-hand kernel from SuSE is
going to also miss some things that people may need... note the problems
with vmware and some of the newer SuSE kernels.

It's a mixed bag but I'd rather go the vanilla route. There's never been
anything I know of that I needed and the vanilla kernel didn't have (but SUSE
did).

+ Bruce S. Marshall bmarsh@xxxxxxxxxx Bellaire, MI 03/02/04 08:59 +
"It seems like the less a statesman amounts to, the more he loves the flag."

< Previous Next >