Re: [SLE] Administrator root can't login
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 12:40:02 +0000
> > > From 2 days i can't login with root on Suse 9. The password is right,
> > > but it say to me that the root can't use for login. So i can only login
> > > with a user and then use SU or insert the password when i use the
> > > visual tool administrator.
> > > How can change this setting? How can enable the root login?
> > >
> > > Thank you.
> >
> > That's the correct behaviour -
>
> Whether or not it is the recommended (by you) behaviour does not
> mean it is either Correct or Normal for SuSE 9.
>
> If you have knowledge that SuSE 9 does enforce this restriction
> then say so.
>
> If it is just your opinion that it _should_ be thusly restricted then say
> that.

'The correct behaviour' means exactly that, i.e. in my opinion the thing is
working right and in a useful way. Everything I say is just my opinion. Even
what I've just said. It's only my opinion that what I say is my opinion and I
could be wrong, perhaps it's the case that everything I say actually has the
force of a divine decree. We'd need to collect more empirical evidence, I
suppose, but if I do find it to be the case I will start saying things like
'Poverty and hunger are now at an end' more often.

However, if you prefer 'That's the correct behaviour, although it may not be
the factory default', then there, I've said it. I adhere to my opinion that
the OP is better served by my advice than by unmediated information telling
him how to make kde root logins available. Root login to a graphical
environment is fundamentally unsound.

Cheers
Fergus

--