Re: [SLE] Laptop Install Problems with SuSE 9.0 (Solved)
  • From: Pete Durst <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Mar 2004 06:26:20 -0500
Hi Jeffry,

Thanks for that tidbit. I tried the failsafe approach and it worked. I re-tried again with just acpi turned off, and it still works! I have the machine up and running, and although it's using VESA video and doesn't have sound, it's usable!

Much thanks!

Pete

At 10:37 AM 3/1/2004, Jeffrey L. Taylor wrote:
Quoting Pete Durst <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to install SuSE 9.0 onto my new laptop and have been stumped by
> a installation failure. When trying to install, it gets part way through
> identifying the hardware, and when it tries to start the GUI installer, I
> get a "keyboard not present" error, and a couple of messages about try to
> connect the console to /dev/ttys0. Aside from the fact that the laptop
> does not have a serial port to do this, I can not see any way to get the
> installer to get past this point. I have tried to do a text only install,
> and it still fails at the same spot. I am able to use the keyboard to
> interact with the program, and I am able to see the characters that I type
> and such, so think that this is just an "X" issue of some sort. Can anyone
> help with this problem? How do I get the install to go?

Have you tried installing in the failsafe mode? On my IBM Thinkpad, a
normal install failed. The failsafe mode worked. After installation
I editted the kernel boot options (in GRUB to test, then in YAST to
make permanent). I left ACPI off and turn APM and idedma back on.
ACPI is problematic in 2.4. It is better in 2.6.

HTH,
Jeffrey

Pete Durst

Chief Engineer
Senior Sun Consultant, Sun Certified System Administrator
Sun Certified Network Administrator, Sun Certified Security Administrator,
LPI Certified Instructor

pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tel:(613) 232-3948 x224 Fax:(613) 232-3949
85 Albert Street, Suite 1200, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 6A4

ExitCertified - Excellence in IT Certified Education

Authorized Sun, VERITAS, Guru Linux and Symantec Training Center
Ottawa ~ Montreal ~ Quebec City ~ Calgary ~ Vancouver
Sacramento ~ San Francisco ~ Las Vegas

www.exitcertified.com USA (800) 803-3948 CAN (613) 232-3948