Re: [SLE] fsck!!!
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 03:09:56 +0100 (CET)

The 2004-02-29 at 15:28 +0200, Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC) wrote:

> I read the SuSE help on the rescue system and noted there what it had to
> say about creating and using a rescue disk.
>
> Whenever I use Yast to create the rescue floppy it does the creation
> fine but it always reports an error on verifying the floppy. And I
> thought that perhaps I might have the bad floppy in the box so I tried
> it with two others from different boxes as well.

Use the one on the CD, unless you have special needs. It is safer.
Interestingly, floppy disks seems to be much lower quality than they were
some years ago. I still keep workable 100 flopies hard disk backups, done
some 10 years ago... today, when I have to save something to a floppy to
take one or two files somewhere else, I use double or tripple copies, ie,
two or three disks, because too often they fail :-(

[rescue CD]

> I would like to report that all worked well... until I got to the cli
> point where I could enter a cli command ie after logging in.
>
> What I would like to do is fsck all the unmounted filesystems (entries
> in the fstab table), how can I get fsck or even e2fsck to do this? And
> no I cannot remember all the entries in the fstab file....yet.

Print or hand copy it to your notebook. No excuses :-)

> If I can get to the cli, what command and options do you suggest? I
> would assume fsck but the entries in the man pages and those displayed
> by the fsck help in the rescue system are different. Bear in mind my
> above paragraph as to what I want to do.

See my other email on this, a few minutes ago - for an ext2 fs.

The info "fsck --help" gives is more current, but of course, too terse.

> OK, my new understanding so far ie:
> 1. Don't fsck a mounted partition
> 2. Boot from a CD to get cli access under rescue
> 3. Access rescue by booting off CD, selecting manual install and then
> the rescue option from there, after choosing kb and language.

Not needed on current versions, there is a separate "rescue system" option
right on booting.

> 4. Login as root (no password required
> 5. Enter ............................... to fsck the system

Right.

> Am I correct in assuming that fsck is like a combination of scandisk and
> defrag on a Windows system?

Er... not defrag, that is not done in linux, it is not needeed. But if I
remember correctly, fsck will inform you on the fragmentation level,
usually below 1 or 2%.

> While I understand it doesn't need to be run
> nearly as often, except under exceptional circumstances, on a journaling
> fs, it can normally do no harm, especially after a power outage/hard reboot?

Right, on those circunstances it is forced. On a not journalling fs (ext2,
for example), it is also run once every 10 or 20 mounts, and it takes a
quite long time.

> About right???

Yes :-)

--