Re: [SLE] Network census
  • From: Michael James <Michael.James@xxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Mar 2004 11:36:32 +1100
On Tuesday 02 March 2004 05:23, abrahams@xxxxxxx wrote:
> Is there a network utility program I can use
> to see what computers are locally visible
> (i.e., they fall within the current netmask)?

nmap is what you're looking for,
you may have to install it.
It's not there by default, which is sensible.
It (can be) a pretty aggressive hackers tool.
You want to know what you're doing before you unleash
some of it's options, you could get yourself locked out of your ISP
or busted by the cyberfuzz.

A tightly specified ping scan is safe enough though.

nmap -sP 10.5.0.0/24
nmap -sP '10.5.*.*'

nmap --help for more.

--
Michael James michael.james@xxxxxxxx
System Administrator voice: 02 6246 5040