Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: "Steven T. Hatton" <hattons@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:51:29 -0500

On Monday 01 March 2004 05:05 pm, Anders Karlsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2004-03-01 at 21:13, Steven T. Hatton wrote:
> > After my very bad experience I just had backing out of an aborted 2.6
> > upgrade, I have to say, sometimes waiting is not all that bad. Having
> > the latest release ensures you have most of the latest functionality, and
> > /all/ of the latest bugs. It really depends on what you want out of
> > Linux. I've decided compiling my own kernel is a bit too risky for the
> > gain. I've been pretty slow at trying the 2.6 from the kernelmeister.
> > And I think it won't be until it's on a CD that I try again.
>
> I found that going to a 2.6 kernel (2.6.0-test7 was my first one) was a
> fair bit of work and did require booting old 2.4 kernel (home-cooked as
> well) a good few times to get the initrd sorted for the 2.6 kernel. Once
> that was working, 2.6 all the way up to 2.6.3 has been working fine.
> 2.6.0 and 2.6.1 required PreEmpt to be switched off, but since 2.6.2-rc2
> something, that has been working well.
>
> Compiling own kernel is not as hard as people make out but I will freely
> admit that it isn't a walk in the park sometimes. Usually, it works
> first time though. Bleeding edge people do try the -rc kernels, or -mm
> or -ck or any of the plethora of additional patch sets there are, as
> they might have fixes for their specific hardware or a bug they have
> hit. Win some and lose some. :-)
>
> I have in general been okay with -rc and -pre kernels, as well as -ac
> and -aa patches. Only time I have ended up in a pickle was using
> BitKeeper to pull down the kernel tree, clone it and add linux-sound and
> 2.6-acpi patches from the respective experimental trees. That bit me,
> but not badly.
>
> Happy Hacking Dudes,

Oh, it's not all that "hard". The hard part is figuring out what all the
options mean, and which ones you really want/need. I haven't done it for
quite some time simply because I am focused on other things, and don't want
to risk screwing my system up. What happened this time with the rpm was the
2.6 locked up during the first boot, and the rollback was less than pretty.
Partly because I decided to learn Grub in crisis mode. I know LILO well
enough to have recovered much more gracefully. The big thing that threw me
was (hd0,1)==/dev/hda2. But, I ended up fixing other things that were
broken, learning lots of stuff about my system, and spending lots of time
thumbing through the latest Linux in a Nutshell while waiting for the patches
to reload from the server.

I'm glad others are still compiling their own kernel. It needs to happen.

STH