Re: [SLE] Network census
  • From: Jim Cunning <jcunning@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:44:32 -0800 (PST)
Monday Mar 01 at 1:23pm, Paul W. Abrahams wrote:

> Is there a network utility program I can use to see what computers are locally
> visible (i.e., they fall within the current netmask)? Getting their IP
> addresses would suffice. I tried:

Look at nmap. It has a number of options for doing exactly what you need.

Sidenote:
If you have a wireless router (D-Link in my case) on your LAN using the
router's WAN port, have discovered that nmap doesn't finish its scan of
the subnet. I haven't had time look into it, but it's probably related to
the default firewall on the router.

Jim Cunning