Re: [SLE] again DHCP & DNS
  • From: "Jeffrey L. Taylor" <suse@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 14:57:50 -0600
Quoting babu walad <vyav@xxxxxxxxx>:
> How does one set this up? Do I need a DNS service
> running
> on the router?

Yes. The DHCP and DNS servers can be running on any host. However,
you will find it much easier if you configure the DHCP server to give
machines fixed IP addresses. Then you can configure the DNS for those
fixed addresses. I went the dynamic IP with dynamic DNS route. It
worked and was too much hassle. I went back to static IPs for static
machines and used DHCP only for when a friend with a laptop dropped
by. My own laptops have static IP addresses while on the LAN.

Jeffrey