Re: [SLE] fsck!!!
  • From: "Hylton Conacher (ZR1HPC)" <hylton@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 17:18:30 +0200
Ken Schneider wrote:
<snip>

A little informed but still desperate to fsck (defrag?) the system. I
am trying to leave the machine on as much as possible here and so far haven't been hit by a power outage....yet. When it does hit I am going to need to know howto use this fsck thing immediately.

So the questions remain:
1. How to get to the CLI from the rescue option when booting off the
CD?
2. How can I get fsck to walk through my fstab file if the / partition isn't mounted?
3. What fsck -option would be the best to check and repair the fs's and
also give me verbose output and a progress bar

Hylton
--
The fscking desperate Little Helper

1. Boot to the DVD / cd #1

2. select rescue
3. If asked for your language select what is right for you.

4. Make sure that you load any/all modules for the FS that you use.

5. Continue to boot to the rescue system.

6. At the login prompt use root for the login.

7. fsck any filesystems needing repair.
How can I get it to fsck the entries in my fstab file? Cos as sure as lemons is lemons I can't remember it?

Additional tasks that can be done from here

mount your / filesystem to /mnt i.e.: mount /dev/hda# /mnt (use the number
that is correct for your installation.
Why are you mounting them when fscking can only be performed on unmounted drives? Or is this so I can execute the additional tasks?

cd /mnt

chroot /mnt

mount any additional filesystem you need, i.e.: /boot if on a separate
partition.

At this point you can add and remove packages using rpm manually even
kernel versions and sources required if you move your harddrive to another
MB using a different processor.

Run mkinitrd to create the boot environment.
If there was no 'additional stuff' to do does the mkinitrd still need to be done after a fsck?

[snipped and partially understood]

.....I require a special module to access the Ultra ATA 100 raid controller

Sorry to get so long winded but wanted to pass on some of my experiences.
np on the looong windedness. It is appreciated

Ken Schneider
--
The Little Helper
Hylton Conacher - Licenced ex-Windows user (apart from Quicken)