Re: [SLE] SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: Hartmut Meyer <hartmut.meyer@xxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 19:08:58 +0100
Hi,

On Monday 01 March 2004 13:05, David Krider wrote:
> In terms of time, a SuSE 9.1 ought to be taking shape about now. Has
> anyone heard anything about a new release? Will SuSE's acquisition by
> Novell delay the next release? Will it include Ximian Desktop? If not,
> can we assume that a new release of XD2 will follow soon after?

On

http://www.suse.com/de/company/press/press_releases/archive04/cebit.html

(unfortunately only available in German) you find the information that around
end of April the next release (9.1) is expected to be ready. It will be based
on kernel 2.6 and KDE 3.2 (those are the only detais given).

> Sorry if asking about this offends you (it usually offends _somebody_),
> I'm just excited about the prospect of getting some new toys to play
> with, most of all a production-level 2.6 kernel as the default!
>
> I got wind that the desktop guys at my Fortune 250 company -- the people
> who mandate what the users run -- are thinking about taking a look at
> Linux, mostly because of how hard we've been hit by the latest email
> viruses. Obviously, I'll be recommending SuSE for such a thing, but I'd
> sure love to show them a new version with the speed improvements in the
> 2.6 kernel I keep hearing about.

If your company is considering deploying Linux on the desktop, then I'd
strongly advise to go for the desktop business product (SUSE LINUX Desktop).

http://www.suse.de/en/business/products/sld/index.html

A version of SLD based on kernel 2.6 will be released later this year.

You wouldn't/shouldn't consider a product that gives you no enterprise ready
support option. The normal SUSE LINUX distribution is aiming directly at the
home user and does *not* offer anything near to what an enterprise might need
when it comes to support.

Greetings from Bremen
hartmut