Re: [SLE] Re: Rhythmbox and realaudio?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 13:29:47 +0100
On Monday 01 March 2004 13.21, John Pettigrew wrote:
> In a previous message, James Ogley <james@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Would people prefer to have RB packages built with the Xine backend
> > rather than GStreamer?
>
> Is it an absolute choice (only one or the other)?

Yes, when you compile rhythmbox you pass --enable-xine to the configure script
to enable xine and by implication disable gstreamer

In my experience, the xine backend is more stable. In fact that's why the
developer created it. rb was originally a gstreamer only app but they had a
ton of problems so he created the xine backend to get away from it.

Since then gstreamer has improved a lot, but IMHO xine is still better and
more functional (unless you really need that pipelining stuff gstreamer does)