Re: [SLE] Administrator root can't login
  • From: Fergus Wilde <fwilde@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 12:40:09 +0000
> From 2 days i can't login with root on Suse 9. The password is right, but
> it say to me that the root can't use for login. So i can only login with a
> user and then use SU or insert the password when i use the visual tool
> administrator.
> How can change this setting? How can enable the root login?
>
> Thank you.

That's the correct behaviour - rather than logging in as root, you'd be better
off doing as you've just suggested and use su or sudo. If you log in as
root, then programmes you spawn all run with root privileges. This is a bad
thing. You really can do everything you need to do quite easily while logged
in as a user.
Best
Fergus

--