SuSE 9.1? (With a 2.6 kernel?)
  • From: David Krider <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 07:05:02 -0500
In terms of time, a SuSE 9.1 ought to be taking shape about now. Has
anyone heard anything about a new release? Will SuSE's acquisition by
Novell delay the next release? Will it include Ximian Desktop? If not,
can we assume that a new release of XD2 will follow soon after?

Sorry if asking about this offends you (it usually offends _somebody_),
I'm just excited about the prospect of getting some new toys to play
with, most of all a production-level 2.6 kernel as the default!

I got wind that the desktop guys at my Fortune 250 company -- the people
who mandate what the users run -- are thinking about taking a look at
Linux, mostly because of how hard we've been hit by the latest email
viruses. Obviously, I'll be recommending SuSE for such a thing, but I'd
sure love to show them a new version with the speed improvements in the
2.6 kernel I keep hearing about.

Regards,
dk

P.S. Yes, I know there was a pre-release 2.6 kernel included in 9.0. I
don't want to try it. Robert Love said in his web log that one of his
buddies is working on a new one that will slip into 9.0 through red
carpet, but warned against using it.