Laptop Install Problems with SuSE 9.0
  • From: Pete Durst <pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 01 Mar 2004 06:16:10 -0500
Hi,

I am trying to install SuSE 9.0 onto my new laptop and have been stumped by a installation failure. When trying to install, it gets part way through identifying the hardware, and when it tries to start the GUI installer, I get a "keyboard not present" error, and a couple of messages about try to connect the console to /dev/ttys0. Aside from the fact that the laptop does not have a serial port to do this, I can not see any way to get the installer to get past this point. I have tried to do a text only install, and it still fails at the same spot. I am able to use the keyboard to interact with the program, and I am able to see the characters that I type and such, so think that this is just an "X" issue of some sort. Can anyone help with this problem? How do I get the install to go?

System Specs:

Toshiba Satellite A33
P4 2.8GHz
512MB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 (IGP)(64M Shared with system RAM)
CD-RW/DVD drive
Realtek 10/100 Network
Realtek AC'97 audio
Atheros AR5001X+ wireless
Toshiba "software" modem

Pete Durst

Pete Durst

Chief Engineer
Senior Sun Consultant, Sun Certified System Administrator
Sun Certified Network Administrator, Sun Certified Security Administrator,
LPI Certified Instructor

pete@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Tel:(613) 232-3948 x224 Fax:(613) 232-3949
85 Albert Street, Suite 1200, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 6A4

ExitCertified - Excellence in IT Certified Education

Authorized Sun, VERITAS, Guru Linux and Symantec Training Center
Ottawa ~ Montreal ~ Quebec City ~ Calgary ~ Vancouver
Sacramento ~ San Francisco ~ Las Vegas

www.exitcertified.com USA (800) 803-3948 CAN (613) 232-3948