Suse 7.3 & Win XP; Network Problem
  • From: J Can <james_cdl@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:56:10 +0000 (GMT)
Hi All,

Am using Suse Prof 7.3 and which is connected via eth0
to a cable modem. Which has worked fine.

I have just installed eth1 on the Suse box, the driver
loaded succesfully and ifconfig confirms that eth1 is
OK.

I am using the eth1 to add a Win XP client. The Win XP
client is there purely to share the internet
connection (NOT for sharing files etc).

I've jumped on the XP box and set the default gateway
to the IP adress of eth1. However, the XP box cannot
access the internet. I've tried the various XP
"network connection" 'wizzards' (including the
'bridge' wizzard), but still no luck.

Even a simple ping from eth1 to XP's NIC "times out"
(and pinging from the XP box also times out). The odd
thing is that the icon on the XP machines detects a
connection and vertifies "100 MBPS network detected."

I've tried dissabling firewalls on both machines and
still no luck. I know that the cable between both
machines is fine and that the XP box has had no
problems connection sharing in the past (with another
windows machine).

Anyone got any ideas????

Many thanks.

James