Boot inittab problem - Please Help!
  • From: Ahbaid Gaffoor <agaffoor@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 10:27:46 -0500
My SuSE 8.1 box suffered a power outage,

I am now facing the following at the prompt as it tries to boot:

INIT: version 2.0 booting
INIT: /etc/inittab[1]: id field too long (max 4 characters)
INIT: /etc/inittab[2]: id field too long (max 4 characters)
INIT: /etc/inittab[3]: id field too long (max 4 characters)

Enter runlevel:

I have tried to enter 1 and 3 for the run level, and all I get is the following:

Enter runlevel: 3
INIT: Entering runlevel: 3
INIT: no more processes left in this runlevel

How do I get past this problem?

I was thinking of popping in a knoppix cd and mounting my root partitiom /dev/hda3 read write to see if something is wrong in my /etc/inittab

is there an easier way I can get around this problem?

--

thanks,

Ahbaid