Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 12:39:25 +0100
In a previous message, Hans Forbrich wrote:

> I'd be interested in your final selections, if you would to share them
> sometime.

Following the suggestions made here, I suspect that one of two products is
going to be closest to what I need. Once I've made a decision, I'll let you
know :-)

I've downloaded the Rekall demo, and it looks quite good. There are a few
things that I need to clear up, but it looks promising, especially the
python scripting. It certainly has good database-design features coupled
with nice forms and reports. It just remains to be seen whether the
forms/reports are flexible enough for my needs (viewing and changing data on
the same layout through queries, attractive report printing based on
queries, data entry through popup lists based on tables etc.).

On the free side, I'm also looking at OOo + ODBC + MySQL. Unfortunately, the
instructions on getting this set up are for RH not SuSE and I couldn't make
it work on the quick play I had. One important oddity I found is that the
SuSE MySQL install doesn't seem to include the "mysql" command. At least, I
get nothing if I try using it, and can't locate it on my system. MySQL
itself is working, because I can use MySQLcc and Rekall. But I can't get OOo
to connect.

Has anyone had success doing this?

John
--