Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: BandiPat <penguin0601@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:37:56 -0400
On Thursday 29 May 2003 15:17, Fred A. Miller wrote:
> John Pettigrew wrote:
> > In a previous message, Donn Washburn wrote:
> >>A nice frontend for MySQL is phpMyAdmin. easy to setup and admin.
> >
> > AFAICT, though, none of the web-based SQL front ends offer anything
> > like decent reporting tools for print. They are ideal for on-screen
> > work, but not for output for clients.
> >
> > What I need is something like FileMaker, Datapower or even Access -
>
> You got that right!!!!!! If they'd only port FileMaker!!!
>
> > something that can create easy-to-use, flexible forms and produce
> > attractive, businesslike reports. I've been surprised that there is
> > so little middle-level database stuff for linux. There are the
> > high-power SQL back ends, and powerful command-line or web-based
> > front ends, but little that's actually sat down and tried to
> > implement a user-based database rather than a developer-based one.
> >
> > Thanks for the pointers so far - I'll look into them. Any other
> > ideas?
>
> This has been one of my complaints, as all I, and I suspect the
> majority of users want and need, is a FileMaker for Linux, and
> there's NOTHING available, not even on the horizon.
>
> Fred

What about the database coming along in the KOffice suite? It's called
Kexi and may prove to be what we all are looking for there. I haven't
played much and the few times I have trying to get it to use their
experimental base, cql, it crashes on me with a Sig6. I have yet to
try it with MySQL as a base yet, but you might want to give it a look.

Patrick
Registered Linux User #225206
On any other day, that might seem strange...

< Previous Next >