Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: "Fred A. Miller" <fm@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 15:17:04 -0400
John Pettigrew wrote:
In a previous message, Donn Washburn wrote:

A nice frontend for MySQL is phpMyAdmin. easy to setup and admin.

AFAICT, though, none of the web-based SQL front ends offer anything like
decent reporting tools for print. They are ideal for on-screen work, but not
for output for clients.

What I need is something like FileMaker, Datapower or even Access -

You got that right!!!!!! If they'd only port FileMaker!!!

something that can create easy-to-use, flexible forms and produce
attractive, businesslike reports. I've been surprised that there is so
little middle-level database stuff for linux. There are the high-power SQL
back ends, and powerful command-line or web-based front ends, but little
that's actually sat down and tried to implement a user-based database rather
than a developer-based one.

Thanks for the pointers so far - I'll look into them. Any other ideas?

This has been one of my complaints, as all I, and I suspect the majority of users want and need, is a FileMaker for Linux, and there's NOTHING available, not even on the horizon.

Fred

--
Fred A. Miller
Systems Administrator