Re: [SLE] Database front ends
  • From: John Pettigrew <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 19:41:36 +0100
In a previous message, Donn Washburn wrote:

> A nice frontend for MySQL is phpMyAdmin. easy to setup and admin.

AFAICT, though, none of the web-based SQL front ends offer anything like
decent reporting tools for print. They are ideal for on-screen work, but not
for output for clients.

What I need is something like FileMaker, Datapower or even Access -
something that can create easy-to-use, flexible forms and produce
attractive, businesslike reports. I've been surprised that there is so
little middle-level database stuff for linux. There are the high-power SQL
back ends, and powerful command-line or web-based front ends, but little
that's actually sat down and tried to implement a user-based database rather
than a developer-based one.

Thanks for the pointers so far - I'll look into them. Any other ideas?

John
--
John Pettigrew Headstrong Games
john@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Fun : Strategy : Price