Re: [SLE] Read-only file system
  • From: Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: 29 May 2003 12:40:41 +0100
On Thu, 2003-05-29 at 12:04, dechao wang wrote:
> I intsalled both suse8.2 and windowsXP with NTFS
> format which is /dev/hda2. When I mount it with
> mount -t ntfs -w /dev/hda2 /mnt, I can read files in
> /mnt, but cannot write.

NTFS support in Linux is flaky at best. You can usually read NTFS file
systems without adverse effects, but you are advised not to write to
NTFS file systems.

> Strangely, when I type: mount -t iso9660 /dev/cdrom
> /mnt, I got the follwoing message. Can you provide
> some advice please?
> mount: block device /dev/cdrom is write-protected,

The device is read-only. And as it is a cdrom, I would expect that.

> mounting read-only

File system is hence mounted read only.

> mount: No medium found

No CD in drive?

I use SLPro 8.2 and not seen any problems mounting cdroms so unsure what
the problem is. You might want to post dmesg output from the time you
did the command resulting in the error, and perhaps from
/var/log/messages as well.

HTH,

--
Anders Karlsson <anders@xxxxxxxxxxxx>