Re: [SLE] Uh...what's this?
  • From: gary <gv-dated-1053572351.decpppki@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 22:10:54 -0500
On Wed, May 21, 2003 at 07:44:57PM -0700 or thereabouts, Kastus wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:54:59AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> >
> > Ok. Who sets the envelope address, postfix? (certainly not the mail
> > client).
>
> Surprise, it's MUA. I'm not sure how to do it in pine, but in mutt
> you set the following variable:
>
> envelope_from
>
> Type: boolean
> Default: no

Mutt is very powerful, allowing one complete control over just about every
aspect of your email... I like to call it Pine on steroids.. <g> I don't
use the envelope_from, but rather use from hooks in the .muttrc file, so
that for different groups I am on, it automatically selects the proper
name in From: for that group. Mutt allows control over your envelope
sender, which can be different from my From: as it is in my case. Many
mail lists will subscribe users via the envelope only, as this list does,
using ezmlm. So I can use a time dated From: address different from my
envelope address (which I subscribed with) as above.

> When set, mutt will try to derive the message's envelope sender from the
> "From:" header. Note that this information is passed to sendmail command
> using the "-f" command line switch, so don't set this option if you are
> using that switch in $sendmail yourself, or if the sendmail on your
> machine doesn't support that command line switch.

I use qmail on my servers, which will allow me to use its version of
sendmail, or I just use qmail-inject with variables, called from Mutt,
which allow me even further control over my email, and can use
environmental variables to change ID's, etc... very effective against
spam.

--
Gary

Why don't sheep shrink when it rains?