Re: [SLE] Uh...what's this?
  • From: Kastus <NOSPAMkastusNOSPAM@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2003 19:44:57 -0700
On Thu, May 22, 2003 at 02:54:59AM +0200, Carlos E. R. wrote:

> Ok. Who sets the envelope address, postfix? (certainly not the mail
> client).

Surprise, it's MUA. I'm not sure how to do it in pine, but in mutt
you set the following variable:

envelope_from

Type: boolean
Default: no

When set, mutt will try to derive the message's envelope sender from the "From:" header. Note that this information is passed to sendmail command using the "-f" command line switch, so don't set this option if you are using that switch in $sendmail yourself, or if the sendmail on your machine doesn't support that command line switch.

> It should by default be the machine name, no?

Well, not necessarily. It is configurable in postfix. This is
what $mydomain is for. Or you can use sender_canonical table in postfix.

> Then it would be
> "localhost" or something like that. I really don't know who sets the
> envelope address, and what happens when I have two different ISP, both
> with dynamic IPs. Should I configure it, and how?

If you are connecting from your MUA to a local MTA that should not be
a problem. The envelope will be created by your MUA and (possibly)
fixed by your MTA.

Regards, -Kastus