Re: [SLE] Uh...what's this?
  • From: "Carlos E. R." <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 02:46:50 +0200 (CEST)

The 03.05.20 at 15:50, Christopher Mahmood wrote:

> > I see, that way loops are avoided. But sometimes, the envelope address is
> > invented, as is my case (I don't have a permanent IP number).
>
> The envelope (sender) from must be valid or everything breaks. You
> lose bounces, mailinglists won't work, and a lot sites won't even
> accept your mail anymore.
>
> tiscali.es seems real enough.

Yes, but that's my header "from". I think my envelope would be
"cer@localhost" or "cer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx", which is my machine name.
Unless postfix is clever enough to change the "envelope sender" to match
the "header from" for all the differents addresses I use :-?

I don't think I can easily check that; but an email sent to myself has
this on the header:

by nimrodel.valinor (Postfix) with ESMTP id 8E6B029B00
for <robin1.listas@xxxxxxxxxx>; Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:22:58 +0100 (CE

> > What would happened then? That could be the reasoning behind
> > bouncing to the originator.
>
> The originator is the envelope (sender) from, not the header from.

I'll have to read the howto again :-)

--
Cheers,
Carlos Robinson