Re: [SLE] Uh...what's this?
  • From: Anders Johansson <andjoh@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 17:43:32 +0200
On Tuesday 20 May 2003 12.19, Carlos E. R. wrote:
> Mmm... technical question: our posts get to list with our "from". If there
> is an error, "we" get posted back. Now, Is that the correct behavior by
> the "receiver side", or should it bounce to the envelope? Or should it
> detect it is a mailing list and do something else?

rfc1123, section 5.3.3

f there is a delivery failure after acceptance of a message,
the receiver-SMTP MUST formulate and mail a notification
message. This notification MUST be sent using a null ("<>")
reverse path in the envelope; see Section 3.6 of RFC-821. The
recipient of this notification SHOULD be the address from the
envelope return path (or the Return-Path: line).

There is a "Precedence" header that some people claim should stop bounce
messages from being sent if it's set to "bulk" or "list", but I haven't been
able to find an rfc for it. In fact, rfc2076 explicitly discourages it.